Monday, July 18, 2011

Mix and Match

I was inspired by the dress (ModCloth soda fountain dress) to pair it with the red belt. I thought, "Desert sunset." Then I needed a sweater and this strawberry vintage cardigan had just a hint of red to match, but no yellow or gold so as not to be too matchy. I don't like matchy-matchy and I warn you to avoid it. It is too matronly and square. And I love preppy-style, but you can go country club without being overly conservative.
The green in the sweater inspired the green plastic rose earrings. What a fun dress-up day!




Notes on the sweater: It was a gift from a friend in a box of vintage. It is very old and worn with small holes. Over most of them I have sewn buttons of various reds. I like the added texture and uniqueness of that look, and I love buttons too. For the front closure buttons, the sweater had some mismatched plastic pearl buttons -- I replaced them all with slightly different greens but all the same size. This has become a special item that I will wear until the day it completely falls apart.

(Beaded necklace, Goodwill; earrings, gift; shoes, Remix; socks -- Little Tokyo mall -- I got into wearing these when I lived in Japan, now I can't bear to be without them. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment