Friday, January 25, 2013

My "Ikea Hack": Latt table and Aneboda dresser

I love Ikea Hackers (more pics via Pinterest) and finally got down to business last weekend and did some of my own hackin'. It was time to redecorate the kids' room. The toys have gone wild and the crib needs to go. It's a small room, beautifully painted "mint" by me. So I decided to give it a facelift. Bringing in all kinds of blues. (Out with the greens and reds.) Ikea furniture is functional, well-designed, and cheap. And it's plain -- but it is so easy to fix it up and make it your own style. And I am a big believer in personal style and unique pieces. Enjoy this improved Ikea furniture! :)

For $20 the LATT is the best kids table you can get. Inspired by other hackers, I opted for new seat cover and some accent painted pieces in goodnight blue gloss (acrylic craft paint). It took two coats. The vintage fabric is scrap leftover from a dress I made. Cream colored jersey with little blue bugs on it. Slipping in the seat pieces covered with fabric was tough but it worked out fine in the end. I used double stick tape to hold it underneath the seat board. Cute. Not too difficult. Very unique.

The Aneboda dresser was also cheap (about $60) and I really liked how simple it was when I bought it 4 years ago; but like everyone who has hacked it, I got sick of seeing all the messy stuff inside. For this project I used a 4'x6' vintage world map which I had in the closet (purchased from a flea market or thrift store or yard sale? I don't remember.) Cutting the map pieces took some time. Lots of measuring and careful marking. In the end I hoped I could slip the edges under the lip that holds the plastic window in (they do not slide out :( ), but it was quite difficult. I again used double-sided tape to secure it. And then I switched out the handles with wooden knobs I had on hand. I LOVE VINTAGE MAPS!!! (Really, who doesn't?) Like the table, it's very cute and unique.

Satisfied Customer :)

Have a great weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment